Our History – The Athletic Program at Holy Trinity
G O C Bridgeport
Prior to World War II, Holy Trinity
participated very little in athletic competition.
From 1932-1933 and from 1935-1936, the Parish had a team in the YMCA’s Inter-Church
Basketball League. In 1941, a Senior team, the Holy
Trinity Grinders, represented the parish at the Y,
and in 1943, a Junior team was also entered.
After the war, in 1946, the Greek American Youth League (now GOYA), was formed. GOYA
sponsored the Athletic Program, under William
Trifiatis as the Director, for the Church’s youth. This
program embraced all children from eight years and
1981 1970s over. It had an annual Athletic Budget of a minimum
$635.00 per year. The Athletic Program included
Basketball and Softball with approximately
eighty children participating. It also sponsored a
Bowling League for the recreation of its members
The Parish had a minimum of one team in each
division each year, and sometimes up to four, which
represented Holy Trinity at the YMCA. Games were
played between other Orthodox and Protestant
Church teams in the Greater Bridgeport area. The
Greek American Youth League sponsored all the
teams, and purchased all the uniforms and equipment.
Practices were held at the First Methodist
Church on Golden Hill Street at a very minimum
cost for many years until the Parish’s gym was built.
In 1950, the Youth organization
changed its name in to GOYA (Greek Orthodox Youth of America),
and became a part of a national organization that
was approved by the Archdiocese. The Church’s basketball teams won many
championships at the YMCA’s Church League, and
received national recognition.
In the late 1960s, the gym was completed to
include a new hardwood floor, all new baskets,
lockers , bleachers, and other equipment that was
needed to conduct the Athletic Program that had
been envisioned. Bill Trifiatis was still the Director
and Louis Carawlanis was the Treasurer of the Athletic
In 1969, a group of representatives
from five Eastern Orthodox churches in the Bridgeport-New Haven area met to discuss
the feasibility forming a basketball league.
Their goal was to offer Orthodox youth the
opportunity to participate in an organized athletic activity with the hope of developing
fellowship and sportsmanship. The Athletic Committee of Holy Trinity Church, Bridgeport
was instrumental in fostering the creation of
the league. Its Committee Chair, Bill
Trifiatis, skillfully guided the inaugural 1969-1970 season.
The charter members that participated were: Holy Trinity Greek
St. Barbara Greek Orthodox (New Haven); St. Dimitrie Romanian
Orthodox (Bridgeport); St. George Albanian Orthodox (Bridgeport);
St. John the Baptist American Carpatho Russian (Bridgeport);
and St. Nicholas Syrian Orthodox (Bridgeport). The
enthusiastic response to the first season's play led to the expansion of the league from
the original nine team Intermediate and Senior
divisions, to twenty-eight teams and two more divisions : Midgets and Juniors.
The following additional churches joined the
league for the 1970-1971 season: Assumption Greek
Orthodox (Danbury); Church of the Assumption
Greek Orthodox (Stamford); and St. George Greek
Orthodox (Hartford). The success of the program
had been tremendous, with approximately 500 youth
and adults participating in the four divisions every
Saturday and Sunday during the basketball season of November through April. This new organization was
named CEOBL (Connecticut Eastern Orthodox Basketball League). Many funds were raised through the efforts
of the Athletic Committee. The proceeds would go towards reducing the debt of the Church loan. The
wives of the committee members ran the snack bar as another means for raising funds. Bill Trifiatis
became the permanent director of the CEOBL, and Louis Carawlanis was its Treasurer. This league was probably the
first inter-orthodox basketball organization of its kind in the country.
In 1978, after 32 years, Bill Trifiatis resigned
as Athletic Director. Jim Trigonis, who was a
member of the Athletic Committee, succeeded Bill
as Director. In 1979, the Holy Trinity Midget basketball
team was the first team in the CEOBL to have a girl play in the league. Vicky Spyrou
(Andriotis) played for Holy Trinity . Vicky's participation
was a precursor to the girls’ volleyball league.
In 1985, Dimitrios Trigonis and Alex Boutsoulis
from Holy Trinity Waterbury, started the Connecticut
Eastern Orthodox Volleyball League. George Fatsi was the Assistant Director during Dimitrios
Trigonis’ tenor. Nick Vomvas was the first coach of
Holy Trinity’s girls’ volleyball team, and he laid a
very successful foundation that has enabled the volleyball
program to thrive until present day. Nick’s
teams won the first five championships. Holy Trinity
won 9 of the first 10 championships and 15 of the
first 20 championships. Some other names that have
volunteered their time throughout the years to the
volleyball program are Eleftheria Fatsi, Michele Papadimitriou
(Belperone), Peter Taxilarides, Gus Anastasiou,
George Christopoulos , Luke Thomas, Stella
Katsetos, and Terry Toth.
In 1986, due to health issues, Dimitrios Trigonis
stepped down as Athletic Director. Jim Feris served
as the Athletic Director from 1986-1991, and followed
by Tom Trigonis in 1991. John Crowe, Pericles
Koutroulas, and Chris Danas have also served
as Athletic Directors.
Throughout the years, many people have been
dedicated to Holy Trinity’s Athletic programs.
Among them was Louis Carawlinas. Lou’s commitment
to Holy Trinity dates back to the 1940’s. His
love for the youth of our community was evident in
his dedication in the time he spent in the gymnasium,
along with Mr. James Mellas. Lou’s brother,
Peter, who was killed in action in WWII, has a trophy
named in his honor that is given out yearly to a
1980-1987 Volleyball Champs 81 Midget Champs
Senior or Intermediate player who exemplifies outstanding
sportsmanship and dedication to Holy Trinity
Church. Lou spent the better part of 70 years volunteering
his time to our athletics and the church in
The Holy Trinity Athletic program continues to
provide a place for the youth of the community to
congregate and enjoy the fellowship of playing with
other Orthodox communities throughout Connecticut
and New York.
Chris Danas, Director
- John Tsiflides
- Division 1 Basketball (Midgets) –
George Andriotis and Tom Hallas
JV/ Divison 2 Basketball (Juniors) – Mark Schiller and Chris Danas
/ Division 3 Basketball (Intermediates) – Chris Danas
Senior Basketball – Lee Tsouris
Varsity Volleyball –
Head Coach- Terry Toth, Assistant - Amelia
Farm team (ages 7
5:30p.m. - 6:15p.m.
Thursdays, 6:00-7:00 p.m.
(Juniors)/ Div. 2 and Varsity
JV/Varsity 7:30 to 8:30
Thursdays: 7:00 to 8:30
Thursdays, 8:45 p.m.
& JV: Wednesdays, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Wednesdays, 7:30-8:30 p.m.
Important Forms & Links
Programs Forms Packet
- Includes Player Registration From,
Team Roster Registration, Player Oath of Conduct, Parent Pledge
Form, Coach Oath of Conduct, Coaching Application, etc...